Want to learn more about moving with plastic bins?
When prepping for a move, you need a lot of receptacles to hold your clothing and other items. Your first thought is to pick up a bunch of cardboard boxes for packing. After all, they’re affordable, versatile, convenient, easily accessible, and 100% biodegradable. But using plastic boxes and bins for your move may end up being a better choice for you. Here’s why.
Benefits of Plastic Bins
There are many advantages to using plastic bins and boxes for your upcoming San Antonio move.
- They’re strong: Unlike cardboard boxes, which can bottom out or collapse when under too much strain, plastic bins remain rigid and can carry many items without buckling under the weight. This feature also allows you to stack several on top of each other without toppling.
- They’re reusable: Once you use a plastic bin, you can save it for another use, such as storage. They can be used over and over again thanks to their versatile and durable nature. This versatility makes them a great investment, as opposed to cardboard boxes that can only be used once or twice, then recycled.
- They’re waterproof: Once you secure the lid, plastic bins will resist moisture and keep your contents dry. This is a big bonus when moving in the rain, plus you will get peace of mind later when using them to store items in a basement that may be prone to water damage.
- They’re ready to use: Unlike cardboard boxes that you have to assemble before using, plastic bins are ready to go. You also don’t need tape or box cutters to use plastic bins.
When to Use Plastic Bins
You don’t have to use plastic bins for all items and every occasion. But there are some circumstances that will necessitate the use of a plastic bin, such as:
- When you’re moving during rainy season and you want to ensure your belongings stay dry during the move.
- When you want to be as eco-friendly as possible.
- When you already have several plastic bins in your home that you can utilize.
- When you want optimal levels of protection for valuable items.
How to Pack Plastic Bins
Check out these tips:
- Make sure all items are dry before packing them into plastic containers. Because these bins are watertight, any moisture that gets trapped inside could lead to mold and mildew.
- Wrap items in packing paper before placing them in the bins. This paper will absorb any dampness that may be present.
- Don’t use bubble wrap, as moisture can form on the plastic material from the air that’s trapped inside.
- Place packing paper or old towels at the bottom of the bins for a soft cushion.
- Pack items that are ideal for plastic bin storage, such as books, toys (think: LEGO sets), office supplies, toiletries, bathroom supplies, shoes, and more.
- Don’t overfill the bins. You must be able to close and pop the lid into place.
- Label each bin, even if it’s transparent. You don’t want to have to hunt around to see what’s in each. Don’t write directly on the bin, but use clear packing tape and paper labels, placing them on the tops and sides. Label the contents and destination room.
- Stack the bins in each room to prepare for the movers, placing the heaviest bins on the bottom.
Contact Texas Best Moving and Storage
Looking to move in San Antonio or surrounding areas? Get a free quote when you contact us at 210-981-5327 today.