If you have a lot of heavy furniture to move, you may be stressing about how you will get it all out of your house without damaging the items themselves, not to mention the walls, ceilings and floors. Your best bet is to hire professional movers who can pack, disassemble, transport and assemble your furniture for you.
Your movers know how to move furniture safely without damaging any pieces or scratching your floors. But if you are determined to tackle a DIY move, the next best option is to pick up a bunch of furniture sliders to minimize damage. Sliders are small pieces of durable plastic or rubber, placed under the legs of heavy furniture and appliances. They allow you to slide the furniture, rather than pick it up or drag it, so chips and gouges don’t occur. Some sliders are made with felt for use on fragile flooring such as hardwood.
The Best Furniture Sliders For…
- Carpet: Always use sliders made of hard materials such as plastic or rubber so they don’t pull at the fibers of your carpet.
- Hardwood floors: Use sliders made of soft materials, such as felt or sponge.
The main goal of furniture sliders is to eliminate friction so heavy objects can glide with minimal effort and damage.
When to Use Sliders
It’s never a good idea to drag large furniture across the floor or pick it up on your own. You can use sliders for:
- Washing machines
How Do Sliders Work?
Simply position one slider under each leg or side of the furniture, then push it gently across the floor in the desired direction.Sliders come with many benefits.
- Protect floors, especially hardwood and tiled floors.
- Protect furniture: The legs typically bear all the weight of a piece of furniture, so if it’s moved improperly, the legs can break. Sliders take up that extra strain, allowing it to “float” a few inches off the floor.
- Minimize effort: You would never be able to pick up a loveseat or armchair all on your own, but with the use of sliders, this task becomes almost effortless.
- Prevent injuries: You could risk a strained neck or back if you attempt to lift and carry heavy furniture.
- Are cost efficient: Sliders are very affordable. You can pick up a multi-pack for under $20 at any home improvement store or online.
- Are versatile: Not only can you use sliders to transport large pieces of furniture across the floors, but also appliances such as washers and refrigerators. Even a piano isn’t out of the question.
- Reusable: Use them over and over again when needed.
- Easy to store: Sliders are compact and can thus fit comfortably in a small moving box.
- Enlist the help of friends.
- Prepare the item beforehand. Make sure all drawers are empty and all removable pieces are off. Drain washing machines of water.
- Prep the furniture sliders: Get out the appropriate type for each item to be moved. Make sure you have enough before starting.
- Place the sliders under the furniture pieces. Tilt it slightly so the legs come up a bit.
- Position a slider under each leg.
- Slowly glide the object toward your desired direction. It’s best to push rather than pull.
- Remove the sliders once you have reached your destination. Tilt the furniture back and forth until you have successfully removed each slider.
Contact Texas Best Moving and Storage
Get a free quote when you contact us in San Antonio at 210-981-5327 for your next move.